02 July 2009

The Trip, Part 1







We made it to Nebraska. Might I add, not with out many small trial. It started in Augusta. T asked me to send him some things. Dad went to the postal place to take care of his needs. When he returned, he noticed a small leak of some sort from his car. They, Mom and Dad, decided to go back to SC and trade cars. Four hours later, we were on our way. I need to add, this allotted me time to really clean the kitchen (sweep, mop, clean the counters, etc) and change the filter for the air conditioner, the thermostat was blinking "filter".
So, off we were. Dad driving my van and me, supposedly trying to sleep in the car with Mom. I did sleep some. We stopped for gas outside Chattanooga. This is were incident 2 happened. You see, my parents car is a VW with a diesel engine. You are NOT to put regular fuel into a diesel with out serious consequences. Well, Dad insisted that Mom and I continue on the trip while he waited to get towed and get the gas sucked out of the car. He ended staying in a hotel in a greasy neighborhood in Chattanooga. We treaded on to Illinois. We bedded down for the night in a decent hotel and started the next leg this morning. This part was pretty normal. The kids enjoyed the movies, complained they couldnt reach whatever they were after and generally complained about whatever was the fancy for the kids of their ages. "I want my shoes. I want my doll. I want my water bottle. That's not the kind of cheese I wanted." Joy.
All was well until we reached just outside Lincoln, about one mile from the Walmart. Welllll....for the first time in my life a tire blew. Nothing bad happened. Just all of a sudden we had a strange noise and pulled over to investigate. When we filled up it was full, when we pulled over, well, it was completely flat. Mom and I proceded to unload the van, read the owners manual and start the process of changing a tire (whith the brothers on the way). We had a night in sweaty armor come to our rescue before the calvary could arrive. He, Todd, changed the tire and made sure the spare was inflated enough to get the short distance to Walmart...litterally 5 min away. We pulled in and he went to talk with the sales people. We got there right at closing time. We were so grateful for our rescuer. Anyway, the tire is fixed, we are at another hotel for the night (this one planned with all the cousins from out of town as well).
Kids are down, and I am headed there soon!!!!
Fun and joy!!

2 comments:

Abu Allyn said...

Hilarius!! I'm very grateful for sweaty heroes... I meet them here all the time. Of course, everyone is sweaty over here.

Love, me

emilysuze said...

I'm just wondering who put regular gas into the diesel car?!? :)

And thank heavens for random strangers being nice.