Unbeknownst to many, we were very blessed to have a perfect weekend for the family to come meet me in Washington, D.C. Renee was AMAZING and Allyn was AWESOME as they drove with all the kids (but no dad) all the way up from Georgia!
We got to do some really fun things! 1st, we spent a whole day in the National Air and Space Museum. Allyn even got to meet some of the Astronauts from the recent Space Shuttle flight to the international Space Station. He also got to talk to the engineers and scientists who built the experiments and exploration vehicles carried by the Shuttle. Wow!
The girls liked the Air and Space Museum, too, but they were awed by the Museum of Natural History the next day. Giant gemstones, live butterfly aviaries, behemoth dinosaurs, and tiny mammals all were fodder for the little guys. It was so awesome it was tiring!
As we left the Museum of Natural History we saw a sculpture garden in the distance. Renee had wanted to go and see… so we braved the rain and went to check it out. I think we got some pretty good pictures (Morgan has a bunch on her camera and the family camera) and we got us some cultural edumacation while we was at it. J
I almost forgot… on that first afternoon, we went to the Mall. The kids all laid down at the base of the Washington Monument and strained to see skyward directly up the tapered landmark. I think one or two was a little seasick from it afterwards. Then we walked to the Vietnam Memorial and I got to share stories of some of my friends who served with me. We talked about Uncle Jimmy and Grandpa Fry and all our family members who have chosen to serve our country. Last, we headed for the Lincoln Monument. Luckily for us, Renee had taught about the Gettysburg Address this year in homeschool so Allyn and I had a great little discussion about the meaning and the moment when the speech was given. What an amazing wife and an astute son!
We walked away, following the reflecting pool, gazing at the golden beams of illumination reflected in the gently lapping water. Then Tori, Miriam, and Morgan started chasing the poor ducks. So much for tranquility! I admit that I’d gladly trade solemn, solitary quietude for the raucous, gleeful jabber of my children dancing, skipping, taunting, and randomly destroying things. I don’t think I’d have it any other way.
Happy Father’s Day. I’ve had a great one!
1 comment:
What craziness is this? Four blog posts in in the last few days?!? Awesome! :)
Post a Comment