Another two weeks’ update…
I know, I know, I promised to be a more frequent updater of the ‘blog.
Morgan just asked for a special snack: olives and granola. Cute but freeeeaaaaaky.
Anyhow, last weekend I didn’t do much of anything except pop Percoset’s and rest. You see, on 22 Sep I was in a car accident. Luckily, everyone ended up OK but it left us all a little injured.
I was riding in to work with my boss in his truck (wife needed the van). A gal that worked up at the hospital on post slammed into the rear of the truck and launched us into the rear end of the car in front of us. We were all stopped at a red light. Oh, and the lady who ran into us had already stopped but hit the gas to change lanes without giving herself enough room to actually do the lane change. I ended up going to the hospital with the lady in an ambulance. It was great fun. NOT. I had a 1-inch gash in the back of my head where my head impacted with the rear window of my boss’ truck. She had burns from the airbag.
The funnest part of the whole experience was when they strapped me to a backboard, put on a neck brace, and immobilized my head. Of course, the point of contact between my head and the backboard was… wait for it… the 1-inch gash that still had little clumps of broken glass in it! That’s right. Ohhhhh, yeah. I thought it wouldn’t be THAT bad since they’d take the glass out as soon as I got to the ER.
Nope. I sat, strapped to a backboard and barely able to breath because of the restrictiveness of the neck brace, for about 1 HOUR before anybody came in to treat me. Well, actually, after about 50 minutes, I went ahead and unstrapped myself and sat up. I grabbed my little PDA and started playing games.
At the 1 hour 20 minute mark, the doctor came walking in. He was looking at my chart and saying, “Well, let’s just get you unstrapped from that backb… Ah. I see you’ve already unwisely done that.” The look of displeasure on his face was evident so I thought I’d set the record straight right then and there: “Well, doc, I figured after an hour passed and no-one even checking me to see if I was alive, I must not be that badly injured. You all weren’t worried about me dying so I figured I could sit up and start moving. You DO know that I’ve been here for over and HOUR AND A HALF, right? And you’re the first medical person I’ve seen?” The doc just blinked and retreated. Our relationship dramatically improved afterwards.
I saved all the pieces of glass that were between my scalp and the muscle. I’ll see if I can get a good enough picture to post up here. I tried to give them back to my boss but he didn’t want them for some reason. (
Well, since then, I’ve been working half-days at work trying to get back into the swing of things. I had whiplash and four staples in the back of my head to heal from. Hopefully, that’ll be the end of it.
Other than that, we are planning to go visit Uncle Jimmy up in S.C. this weekend.
I’m going to buy a motorcycle for our 2nd vehicle. It just doesn’t make sense to buy a truck right now and pay out the nose for fuel. The motorcycle should help keep that cost down. Still looking for the right bike, though.
Until next time…
Love, the fries
01 October 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment