03 September 2006

The IZ (formerly known as the Green Zone)






Well, this time I spent 4 months working in the International Zone and environs. We covered a good chunk of Baghdad and hopped from FOB to FOB to support various needs. This is the first deployment I've been able to take pictures of!

The first and third photos are of the fountain in front of the al-Rasheed hotel.

The second photo is in front of the "Crossed Swords" monument, the exit point for Sadaam's old parade grounds. Now it's used for high-speed vehicle maneuver training. Gotta love it.

The third photo is one of us up on Sadaam's dais above the parade ground. This particular person is pontificating on how great life is when you're in the US Army.

The last photo is our interpreter, waking up and leaving his spider-hole for work in the morning. :) Sorry, buddy. Actually, he was visiting Saddam. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great pics, amigo! Have you guys thought of rappelling practice off the swords?

We're in Mexico City watching the political turmoil. Fun stuff. I'm supposed to be writing my dissertation. Fear not... I am working, but I could always do more.

Say howdy to Renee and the kids. Keep your head down and take care.

Brian